Now Hiring for 2022 Season
Farm Camp Counselor
Now Accepting Applications for the 2022 Camp Season
Description: Hart-to-Hart Farm Day Camp is seeking qualified individuals to design & teach sustainable agriculture & environmental lessons utilizing our gardens, farm, fields, forest and ponds. Educators/counselors collaborate to inspire and engage campers’ ages 5 – 16 on an organic farm. Campers participate in farm chores, gardening, cooking as well as a wide range of environmental and agricultural activities. Highlight: each campers adopts and train their own special fam animal. Goal: have fun while making a difference in the lives of young people through inquiry based learning.
Site Description: The camp is located on a 285-acre sustainable organic dairy farm in Albion, Maine. Site includes historic barn, out buildings for chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and a free stall barn which is home to 130 dairy cows. Scenic pastures, organic gardens and orchard, ponds, wetlands, forest, and farm provide an idea camp setting to explore..
- Plan and co-teach a range of outdoor farm/environmental activities through “hands-on”, inquiry based learning. Topics include but not limited to animal care and feeding, gardening, sustainability, cheese making, insects, birds, soil science, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories. Attend staff trainings and meetings.
- Set up and clean up all supplies and equipment. Day starts at 7:00 am and end s when prep work is finished for the next day. Some weekend prep work may be required.
- Role model healthy living, positive energy and good stewardship of the environment.
- Participate in daily farm chores with campers.
- Participate in 1 family program & school field trips.
- Participate in 1 overnight outing with campers attending Farm Extravaganza and Farm Explorer.
- Participate in staff trainings, staff meetings, community chores and miscellaneous maintenance duties to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the camp
- Supervise JCIT who are assigned to your group
- Reset and clean camp space, bathrooms, and kitchen as a team at the end of each day and session
- Implement all camp policies, rules and regulations
- Provide first aid to campers according to camp policy.
- Reset and clean camp space, bathrooms and kitchen as a team at the end of each day and session.
- Communicate and report to the Camp Director daily updates and any concerns regarding the camp or campers.
- Experience working with children ages 5 – 16 years of age in an outdoor setting.
- Patient, fun-loving, creative, enthusiastic, team player, flexible, and confident in ability to motivate and assist campers in learning new knowledge and skills while creating a safe environment.
- Excellent multitasker, team player with a genuine passion for working with and empowering young people
- Excellent communication skills, a good sense of humor, self-motivated and strong work ethic.
- A willingness to get dirty, hike, work with farm animals and dig in the garden
- Knowledge in sustainable farming / gardening and/or environment education (strengths can be in one or the other – animal husbandry a bonus)
- First Aid and CPR certification
- 18 years if age or older, has a high school degree or equivalent; priority given to those who completed 1wt year of collage or alternative program/ experience
- Physically able to lift 50 pounds
Date: June 13th – August 20nd (10 weeks, includes 1 week mandatory staff training)
Compensation: $290 -$350 /week (increase depended on education and experience) Includes housing, meals and internet access. Option to leave at last session if returning to school. Excellent internship
Note: Individuals not needing room & board will receive a competitive salary
Deadline: We begin reviewing applications in February and conduct interviews until position are filled.
To Apply: Send cover letter , resume and Application for employment (download form) to Linda Hartkopf, Director, Hart-to-Hart Farm & Education Center, 16 Duck Pond Land, Albion, ME 04910 or email to email@example.com