Now Hiring 2020
Now Accepting Applications for the 2020 Camp Season
Description: Hart-to-Hart Farm Day Camp is seeking qualified individuals to design & teach sustainable agriculture & environmental lessons utilizing our gardens, farm, fields, forest and ponds. Educators/counselors collaborate to inspire and engage campers’ ages 5 – 16 on an organic farm. Campers participate in farm chores, gardening, cooking as well as a wide range of environmental and agricultural activities. Highlight: each campers adopts and train their own special fam animal. Goal: have fun while making a difference in the lives of young people through inquiry based learning.
Site Description: The camp is located on a 285-acre sustainable organic dairy farm in Albion, Maine. Site includes historic barn, out buildings for chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and a free stall barn which is home to 130 dairy cows. Scenic pastures, organic gardens and orchard, ponds, wetlands, forest, and farm provide an idea camp setting to explore..
- Responsible for all aspects of camp life: classroom preparation, participating in morning circle; running animal, craft, and gardening activities; overseeing snack and lunch time. Day starts at 7:00 am with set up. Ends around 5:00 pm or when prep work finished for the next day. One overnight outing with campers attending Farm Extravaganza and Farm Explorer.
- Plan and co-lead daily “hands-on”, inquiry based programs. Topics include but not limited to animal care and feeding, gardening, sustainability, cheese making, insects, birds, soil science, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories. Attend staff trainings and meetings.
- Assist in designing and leading daily “hands-on”, inquiry based programs. Topics include but not limited to animal care and feeding, gardening, sustainability, insects, birds, soil science, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories. Attend staff trainings and meetings.
- Participate in 1 family program & school field trips
- Participate in staff trainings, staff meetings, community chores and miscellaneous maintenance duties to contribute to the ongoing improvement of the camp
- Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication and good stewardship of the environment.
- Creative, enthusiastic, team player, flexible, excellent communication skills, a good sense of humor, self-motivated and strong work ethic.
- A willingness to get dirty, hike, work with farm animals and dig in the garden
- Knowledge in sustainable farming / gardening and/or environment education (strengths can be in one or the other – animal husbandry a bonus)
- Previous camp or related experience working with youth ages 5-16 in an outdoor setting
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Completed 1st year of college or alternative program / experience
Date: June 1 – August 23 (12 weeks, includes 2 wk staff training & school field trips)
Compensation: $320 /week (increase depended on education and experience) Includes housing, meals and internet access. Excellent internship opportunity (option to leave by 8/16/2020 for school)
Deadline: Until filled
To Apply: Send cover letter and Application for employment-2020 (download form) to Linda Hartkopf, Director, Hart-to-Hart Farm & Education Center, 16 Duck Pond Land, Albion, ME 04910 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.